Did you know that you can boost your child’s future annual earning potential by $50K for each year you read with him or her during the formative years? In addition, early literacy has been linked to future academic success. And what little one doesn’t love to curl up with a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle and a good book? Children’s books and the unplugged, quality time they afford us are the stuff childhood is made of . . . the enduring, enchanting stuff.
Meet the Tuned In Parents of Bookroo!
The tuned in parents above are three brothers and their respective wives — dad and mompreneurs — that have recently started a family business to promote early literacy called Bookroo. And since we’re in the business of supporting parents doing all things positively parenting, we’ve invited them to share with us today. They’ve got a wonderful children’s book program and great tips for raising happy, little readers, too!
Bookroo Crew’s Tips for Raising Happy Little Readers
- Chandler: Establish a regular time to read daily, both with your child and by yourself.
- Tiffany: Make sure your child sees you yourself reading.
- Kesler: Take time to read for enjoyment!
- Jane: Read to your children, even after they can read themselves. Reading to them above their reading level will allow them to see the stories they can unlock by continuing to read!
- Tayler: When you finish a book, find the next one right away. If you wait, you’ll wait too long.
- Rebecca: Explore the library! There’s excitement and satisfaction when you discover a new book.
Early Literacy Fun Facts
- Fact: Reading with children from infancy helps them use and develop all five senses.
- Fact: The average children’s book has better vocabulary for children than what they’re exposed to on primetime TV.
- Fact: Reading to children from infancy not only increases their future earning potential, but it also improves their math aptitude.
Staying Green and Giving Back
A tell-tale sign of a small business run by tuned in parents is genuine concern about the environment and community. And Bookroo comes through in both departments by using recycled packaging (that you can recycle again, of course) and by donating books to children in need via Reach Out And Read.
If you love books, are excited to encourage your little one(s) to read, and/or know someone who would love a Bookroo subscription as a gift for their happy, little readers, tuned in parents can enjoy an automatic 20% off!
Remember, Tuned In Parents is currently run by volunteers, and we help parents, their businesses, and worthy causes get exposure in exchange for valuable parenting knowledge to share with you. As such, we rely on you to keep the flow of knowledge and parent-to-parent support circulating!